Sunday, July 4, 2010

Week One: Lessons Learned

Here are some of the lessons I have learned in Week 1 of this project.

1) I am old. Maybe it is better to say that my body is getting old and doesn't recover the way I think it should be able to. After the 5K on Wednesday I gave my body a full 48 hours out of the water. I did a cycle class on Thursday and was surprised at how good I felt, so I was determined to get in the water on Friday. It was bad. I managed to swim 1600 meters fighting through the most fatigue my shoulders have ever felt. I didn't feel actual pain in my shoulders until Saturday night playing Just Dance on the Wii. Really?

2)Non-swimmers think I am crazy. Former competitive swimmers are proud, impressed and glad that it is not them. My current swimmers are unimpressed. The general response is "So, we do at least that much every day, most of the time more." They obviously do not understand the toll that 10-15 years, 50 more pounds, and 10 years of being out of training does to the body.

3) Recreational lap swimmers are unimpressed. Floated in the middle of a 50M lap lane for twenty minutes is the same exact thing that I am doing.

4) I will never be able to wear nail polish ever again. The pool water just eats it and I am far too tired to keep touching it up every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment