Sunday, July 4, 2010

Week Two: Training Plan

Having put Week One behind me, I now need to get serious and structured about the rest of the summer. If I am going to be successful, I need to make a plan and follow it. I've been trying to lose weight for like, my entire life, but have never been super structured about it. Therefore it has never happened. I will not be letting that happen this time.

My Training Plan:
  • In the water training sessions 3-4 times a week, but never two days in a row. My swim training plan is to slowly increase the distances of freestyle I can swim without resting. I am concerned about my shoulder, so I need to make sure I get full recovery. (Getting old sucks).
  • I plan to do at least one session where I do a long moderate swim, increasing yardage every week. I want another session to be faster paced mid-distance repeats. A third session will be at least 50% kick to progress my aerobic endurance(AE) but giving my shoulders a rest.
  • Test a 1000 for time every two weeks. My boss, Mr. SPD suggested that I do the 5K several time this summer to mark my progress. Not going to happen. I do think that a timed 1000 will work just as well. I was really pleased with how I split my test 5K and how little rest I took, I just need to be able to swim faster with the same rest.
  • I plan on supplementing the swim training with dryland training, again increasing AE, but giving my body and mind variety. This shouldn't be to difficult. I do a indoor cycle class with my senior swimmers once a week and occasionally yoga. My apartment complex has a great fitness center I frequent a lot on weekends.
Week Two will be interesting, because life doesn't stop. I will be leaving on Thursday afternoon for a swim meet in Hickory, NC (just shy of four hours away) and will be gone until Sunday. I don't expect to get a lot of swimming done, but have been promised that the hotel fitness center is pretty good. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment